Kehilath Anshe Dorum (South Side Hebrew Congregation)
KEHILATH Anshe Dorum (South Side Hebrew Congregation) was organized in1888, its leading founders being the following:
Jacob Batt Hyman Rosenbaum
Morris De Lee Louis Rosenbaum
Mentheim H. Ephraim Morris Rosenthal
Morris H. Ephraim I. Schlesinger
L. Greilsheim Henry Sincere
Aaron Katlinsky John Steiner.
Louis Rosenbaum was president for the first twelve years, during the first ten of which services were conducted at the South Side Turner Hall, on State near Thirty-first Street. H. Farber, the first rabbi, occupied the pulpit only a short time and was followed by Rabbi M. Ungerleider, later superintendent of the Michael Reese Hospital. Upon his resignation, Dr. Samuel N. Deinard became the rabbi, serving until 1902.
In 1901-02, during Dr. Deinard's incumbency, the congregation erected a temple at 3432-36 Indiana Avenue. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Deinard accepted a call from Minneapolis, and in September, 1902, Dr. A. B. Yudelson became rabbi of Kehilath Anshe Dorum.
During Dr. Yudelson's occupancy of the pulpit, the congregation sold its Indiana Avenue property and acquired the northeast corner of Fifty-ninth Street and Michigan Avenue, where a community center was built, consisting of a large auditorium, twelve classrooms, social halls, and all modern appointments. This was in 1915, since which time the activities in the new building have been devoted largely to Jewish education. The classrooms were given over to the Jewish Educational Center, an organization which conducted Hebrew classes there daily, until September 1922.
Dr. Yudelson’s long service at Anshe Dorum came to an end in 1916 when he resigned to devote himself to the practice of medicine. He was succeeded by Rabbi J. H. Margolis, the present incumbent. The Current officers are:
Moses Kreeger, President
Solomon Lewis, Vice-President
William L. Price, Treasurer
Lee Cohn, Secretary.
Kehilath Anshe Dorum Congregation at 59th St. and Michigan Avenue
At some point, not yet determined, the Congregation moved to 77th and Chappel, where it operated for many years. In the early 1970s, the Congregation moved to downtown Chicago and became Central Synagogue, where it operates today at 15 West Delaware Place.